Prisoners, banishments (transportation), and executions yearly by sex in England & Wales from 1715, aggregated to punishment per 100,000 of population (punishment prevalence), with sex ratio of punishment and punishment distribution (% absent from execution, % absent from being transported, and % absent from being in prison).
Get dataset in form/version:
- punishment yearly: total resident population, persons executed, persons banished (transported), and persons in prison yearly by sex in England & Wales from 1715, with calculation of punishment per 100,000 of population (punishment prevalence), with sex ratio of punishment and punishment distribution. Recognizing the historical importance of disposal of men in military service, each year is labeled with a description of the military circumstances.
- sex-ratio graph: graph of ratio of males to females in life-disposing punishment (absent in punishment) yearly from 1750
- punishment type: punishment prevalence (absence in punishment per 100,000 of population) by being in prison, by banishment (transportation) and by execution yearly from 1750; time series with graph
- punishment sums: summary statistics for punishment during various periods
- sums by military situation: persons punished by sex, summed across years by military situation