Prisoner deaths, prison populations, and death rates yearly for a cross-section of U.S. state prisons, 1820 to 1843. Some data on race and sex. Comparison to over-all U.S. population.
Get dataset in form/version:
- prison deaths summary: prisoner death rates under separate and silent systems compared across 1820-1843
- race sex: prisoners death rates by race and sex for prisons providing such data, 1830-1844
- death rate table: prisoner deaths in U.S. state prisons, 1820-1843, by prison, year, and confinement system (separate or silent)
- tabulated dataset: long form of death rate table
- general population deaths: estimate of the overall U.S. death rate in 1850 for males and females ages 20-49