Prisoners (including jail inmates) by sex in the U.S. from 1900, from decennial census prisoner data, adjusted for comparability, with additional Bureau of Justice Statistics yearly prisoner counts.
Get dataset in form/version:
- summary: national prisoner totals (including jail inmates) by sex for decennial census years, with calculated sex ratios
- sex-race 2006: prisoners (including jail inmates) by sex and race/ethnicity (white, black, Hispanic) in 2006, with separate categorizations of prisoners and jail inmates for nearby years
- fed-state from 1925: Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) annual series for federal and state prisoners by sex, 1925-1973 is sentenced prisoners, yearly from 1973, all prisoners. With calculated sex ratios.
- jails from 1983: BJS one-day jail inmate population counts yearly from 1983, with calculated sex ratios
- fs sentenced: federal and state prisoners by sentencing status, 1974-2010
- fs jurisdiction: custody status and location of prisoners under federal and state jurisdiction
- fs 1925-2001 source: BJS source table for federal and State Prisoners by Jurisdiction and Sex
- federal 1896-1940: federal prisoner counts yearly, from BJS, Federal Offenders
- fs sources from 1925: additional table table concerning BJS annual series for federal and state prisoners
- jail source from 1980: additional source data tables on prisoners (inmates) in jails
- 1970-2010, 1940-1960, 1933, 1933 county& city, 1917-23, 1910, 1904, 1904 jails: sheets compiling national census data on prisoners for the indicated years